In 1907, during the construction of the Panama Canal, the North Americans, as an alternative to dispose of the materials from the extraction of Culebra Cut, decided to transport this excavated material by rail and unload it in Fort Amador as a landfill, thus creating the Balboa landfill. .
In 1908 it was decided to extend said landfill, which would connect the islands of Perico and Flamenco, thus creating a plan that involved forming a breakwater connecting the mainland with the Naos Island area. The first of 4 islands under the jurisdiction of the United States.
In 1909 the Panama Canal Fortification Board recommended the establishment of military bases
North Americans in these islands to protect the waterway.
The names of Fort Amador and Grant were assigned by Secretary of War Henry L. Stimson in
January 1912. It was named Fort Amador in honor of Dr. Manuel Amador Guerrero, the first president
of the Republic of Panama.
Once the territory of the canal zone was reverted to the Panamanians and before starting the tourism development plans, the Panamanian government used Flamenco Island as the main headquarters of the special forces of General Manuel A. Noriega (RIP), they became later a maximum security prison.
Later it was used as the facilities of the National Maritime Service, until 1998; Then in
November of the same year, a group of visionary Panamanians obtained the concession by contract
signed with the State, to develop the Fuerte Amador Resort & Marina, SA project, this being a starting point to position Panama as a "tourist destination", since it has a privileged position on the banks of the Canal, spectacular views of Panama City and proximity to the same metropolitan area.
We are a Panamanian company that provides first class marine, tourism and entertainment services, with a high sense of social responsibility.
We aspire to give our clients the best and most pleasant experience during their visit.
Our commitment is to professionally develop our collaborators, maintain a team of
competent and motivated work, protect the environment and safeguard the interests of our
A modern cruise terminal complements the port. These facilities have been adequate with
security standards, which receives the Certification of the International Code for the Protection of Ships and Port Facilities (ISPS) established by the international maritime organization and audited by the Panama Maritime Authority (AMP)
Both Panamanians and tourists will be able to find in Fuerte Amador Resort & Marina a variety of tourist services such as: the only duty-free shop outside the airport, souvenir shops, as well as restaurants, ice cream parlors and others.
We are the largest recreational marina in the country, capacity for mega-yachts, fuel dock with low sulfur diesel and gasoline without ethanol, 100-ton Travelift, repair shipyard and much more.